Johnson is the Senior Equipment Editor for Golf World Magazine. Hunter Mahan bounced back from the 2010 Ryder Cup with a 4-1-0 performance for the U.S. in the Presidents Cup. It is amazing to see what a difference a year makes. One year after flubbing a chip in the deciding Ryder Cup and being reduced to tears afterwards, he played great in the team format and then played a solid singles match where he won over Jason Day.
The second stage of PGA TOUR Q-School wrapped up this weekend and in terms of pressure, it is as tough as it gets because people’s livelihoods and chances for livelihoods are on the line. Peter Uihlein, Todd Hamilton, and Woody Austin are among the players who failed to advance to the final stage of Q-School. What that means is those players will have to piecemeal schedules in 2012 and will have little control over where and when they play. Others, including Lee Janzen, Rich Beem, and David Duval, did advance to Final Stage and will have to earn their PGA TOUR cards for 2012.
Hollis Stacy, who won 4 LPGA Majors and 3 U.S. Girls’ Junior titles, was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame and when you consider her career and her contributions, her election was well overdue and she is definitely well-deserving. When asked about who should be next, Johnson responded that Laura Davies is the next women’s player who needs to be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame as she has the record and the stature to be enshrined.
No one really saw the boom in anchored putters in 2011 so a lot of companies are playing catch-up and are rushing out new models and increasing production to try to reduce the months-long waits for long putters.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots