Frank Nobilo is in Marana, Arizona this week for the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. Looking at Day One of the Match Play, the headline is the same as last year: the upsets. 15 higher seeds lost in the first round and as a result, the feel of the entire tournament has changed. He thinks that the best matches will come from the Snead Bracket with the Westwood/Karlsson and Watney/Woods matches and he is looking forward to seeing what happens.
With all of the criticism that Keegan Bradley received for his pre-shot routine including spitting, he was very impressed to see him not only defeat Geoff Ogilvy in the first round, but also play as well as he did. He noted that when Jack Nicklaus was photographed with a cigarette in his mouth early in his career and knew that that was a negative image, he stopped doing that on the course almost overnight.
While Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano was very complimentary of Tiger Woods in his interview, the “beatable” comment became the headline and that it is the way it works sometimes in the media. Tiger Woods could not help but be motivated regardless of the context and Tiger moves on albeit with only a 1UP win.
If there is one thing missing with Tiger’s game, it is his putting and that has a lot to do with lack of confidence. He has seen Tiger change his putting routine from day to day and he has seen Tiger be successful on the greens when he has more confidence and if you are feeling good about your game, you almost cannot help but to perform better.
He is the most excited about the Snead Bracket for the 2nd Round and especially the Westwood/Karlsson match. Both are playing well but it could end up being a landslide win or it could go extra holes with either player winning.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Inaugural Bahamas LPGA event deluged by rain
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on anchor ban: 'Not going to roll over'
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air