Shackelford is a Golf Digest Contributor who writes his own blog on GeoffShackelford.com. He has been heavily involved in Golf World’s survey of PGA TOUR players to find out their favorite golf courses. They surveyed 81 players over one year and you go into something like this expecting them to like the old courses and dislike the new courses. He was exactly right in that expectation as many players hated it when something new was done to old courses. The PGA TOUR may not like this but there will be player comments that are not very complimentary of many courses on the PGA TOUR but what the TOUR will also find is that things are moving in the right direction. The rotation of the courses for The Barclays is a perfect example of this.
Out of the players polled, every single one of them had played Augusta National over the past three years and no one was able to be involved in such a decision if they had only seen the course on television.
Although the PGA TOUR has done a great job with their course rotation for The Barclays, Liberty National came in last place while the WGC-Match Play host course Dove Mountain and the Plantation Course at Kapalua also ranked among the lowest mainly because of the hilly terrain. It was very important to receive honest critiques from players about the PGA TOUR’s courses and they were able to do so because the comments will be anonymous.
TPC Sawgrass ranked 11th on the list and a large number of players surveyed seemed to really support the PGA TOUR’s decision to move THE PLAYERS from March to May as many feel that the condition of the golf course improved significantly between those two months. A couple of courses, Augusta National and Muirfield Village, were among a few others to receive a wide range of comments ranging from high praise to high criticism in part because some believe that those courses along with a number of others tend to be set up for long hitters to win on them. If shorter hitters do not feel that they have a chance to win, they tend to not have the most positive comments on that course.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A announce ban on anchored stroke
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae