Regarding Tiger’s first round in the Chevron World Challenge, he said he would give Tiger a B+ although it is tough to grade someone on just one round in difficult conditions but the fact that he is tied for 2nd after 18 holes is definitely a good start. His pick at the beginning of the week was Nick Watney and the fact that he started at -1 after the first round makes him feel confident about that pick.
Looking at PGA TOUR Q-School, he is taking a close look at Roland Thatcher who he caddied for in a tournament out on the Nationwide Tour in 2007. Thatcher has consistently been around the top 125 every single year and tends to fall out. He does not want to call Thatcher a journeyman but he is someone who has been out there a long time and had a lot of interesting experiences. It is good to see Thatcher playing well this week.
On the question of the evolution of Q-School, Sobel said that he does not have a problem with the way things are but he would like to see more PGA TOUR cards come from the Nationwide Tour than Q-School because he feels that the Nationwide Tour is a better overall test of qualification for the PGA TOUR although Q-School provides a lot of exciting stories. Votaw added that such a plan is in place and while there are a lot of details to be worked out, there is a plan in place to create a 3-event playoff series for PGA TOUR cards while Q-School will be for Nationwide Tour cards.
He has a problem with the question of who is the best right now because it changes all of the time, literally on a week-to-week basis. For instance, he may say Rory McIlroy right now but he may say Tiger Woods by Sunday depending on what happens in tournaments. There are so many great players out there and the “best player” title can change many, many times in a short period. Luke Donald is currently World #1 and he agrees with that assessment by the Official World Golf Ranking. The best players can win on any course and the difference between first and second tier players is not that big but the best players either do not go through slumps or they go through short slumps.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process