European Tour Analyst Jay Townsend is in South Korea this week for the Ballantine’s Championship. He was in China last week and covered Branden Grace’s 3rd win of 2012 in the Volvo China Open. It is amazing what he has accomplished and even Grace seems surprised by what he has done right out of Q-School.
Lee Westwood is celebrating his 39th birthday today and Jay feels that although Westwood would love to win a Major, he is comfortable with himself and comfortable with what he has accomplished in his career. Any pressure to win a Major comes from Westwood himself and Jay doubts that he feels much outside pressure to win a Major. He successfully defended his title in Indonesia and he is a world player who goes to various places for various reasons. But no matter where he goes, he backs it up with great performances and Jay doubts that Westwood takes any criticism of his schedule seriously.
The new BMW Masters will have a 78 player field including 14 Chinese players and 4 sponsor’s exemptions. The other 60 spots will come from the Official World Golf Ranking and the big purse along with the fact that it is the week before the WGC-HSBC Champions makes it likely that the BMW Masters will attract a number of big name players.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path