Roberts is the Essayist for Golf Channel on NBC and is in Naples, Florida for the Franklin Templeton Shootout. Luke Donald’s achievement of winning both the PGA TOUR and European Tour Money Titles in the same year is in his opinion one of the more compelling stories in golf in 2011. The fact that he played 25 events worldwide with 19 top 10 finishes is an amazing accomplishment and a very difficult accomplishment but unfortunately it will not get the credit that it deserves.
The best win of 2011 in his mind was Harrison Frazar’s victory in the FedEx St. Jude Classic. He had so much potential and after 15 winless years, he considered quitting playing professional golf and then won in Memphis. Darren Clarke’s Open Championship win was another one that was incredibly inspiring.
When asked about golf in 2011, he felt that this was an incredibly compelling year for many reasons and pointed to Tiger’s win in the Chevron World Challenge as a moment that could have great significance for the future. It may have only been an exhibition, but it could go down as being one of the most important wins of Tiger’s career. He is also excited about the Ryder Cup because it is at Medinah which is the home of World #1 Luke Donald.
J.B. Holmes underwent brain surgery in early September and was going to play this week but withdrew as he felt he was not ready. He has gained a lot of weight due to inactivity and medications and he played his first round since the surgery last week at Isleworth and shot 77. He is lacking power and depth perception on the golf course right now but his current goal is to make his 2012 PGA TOUR debut at the Farmers Insurance Open.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth