Golf Channel on NBC Essayist and past Morning Drive guest host Jimmy Roberts is in San Francisco, CA this week for the 112th U.S. Open Championship. His favorite quote of this week comes from Matt Kuchar who said that when he was 17, he was just trying to break 90. One of the most amazing things about Beau Hossler is the fact that he does not think his performance over the first two days is all that impressive. Hossler has the attitude that he expects to go out and perform well in the U.S. Open and it was a bit surprising to be interviewing a 17-year-old high school student on the Friday of the U.S. Open about his successful performance.
Last week, he spent some time with Casey Martin up in Oregon right after Martin qualified for the U.S. Open. You cannot help but be impressed with what Martin has accomplished and what he has to deal with everyday. The fact that he qualified despite rarely playing any golf at all due to his job as Head Men’s Golf Coach at the University of Oregon makes his success in the Sectional Qualifier that much more amazing and inspirational. He is also a very nice person and it was very unfortunate that he bogeyed his final hole on Friday to miss the cut by one.
The final two rounds of the U.S. Open will air on NBC Sports in prime time on the East Coast and it is exciting time for everyone involved especially since Tiger Woods is tied for the lead after 36 holes. Tiger leads the field in driving accuracy and is third in greens in regulation so it is really not that surprising that he is as high up on the leaderboard as he is. The Tiger Woods story is compelling from a golf standpoint alone not to mention all of the personal storylines. No matter what happens this weekend with Tiger, it will be compelling.
Everyone at The Olympic Club has said that the course is hard but no one has said that The Olympic Club is unfair. The course is not that long and does not have any water hazards but it is still so difficult. The doglegs and the sloping fairways play a big role in making The Olympic Club sneaky hard for everyone in the field. Roberts would not be surprised if the winning score this year is over par.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd at Colonial for using putting aid
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots