When it comes to slow play in the world of golf, he feels that the solution is to begin publicly pointing out who exactly the slowest players are. The PGA TOUR is wrong to secretly fine players. The penalties need to be strokes and not money and they have to be made public. The rules officials are in a tough position to have to possibly go up to players in the final round who are being held back by a playing partner and potentially threaten them with penalties for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If players would be penalized, there would be incentive to speed up. This has been issue for many years and it has been a joke for many years although there have been a few incidents where players have been penalized but there have been way too few of them. Some of the greatest players in the history of the game including Nicklaus, Woods, and Faldo were and/or are slow players and Feinstein does not think that too much is being made of this issue. He agrees with Luke Donald that this issue is seriously hurting the game.
He feels that Tim Finchem’s biggest impact on the PGA TOUR is the fact that when he took over in 1994, he made a great deal of effort to go out to all three tours in his first year to personally meet every player on every tour to make himself available to them. From personal experience, Finchem has been great with the media as well and will respond to any media request personally which is a great touch.
He is not a big fan of the Official World Golf Ranking and when it comes to the question of best American player, he feels that while Steve Stricker is the most productive American over the past few years, he is not the most successful simply put because he has not played well in the Major Championships. Because of their Major Championship performances, he would have Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and Keegan Bradley on his list while Stricker would be up there as well. In 2002, when Rich Beem won the PGA Championship, Beem at that time was better than Jim Furyk but that only changed when Furyk first won the 2003 U.S. Open and then won more and more including the 2010 FedExCup.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Rd. 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA Champ. win
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots