Tiger and Rory played together in the first round at Abu Dhabi but John agrees with most people that the place where he wants to see them together the most is the final round of The Masters or any Major. He would also love to see them play together on Thursday and Friday in a PGA TOUR event.
Looking at the early part of 2012 in golf, it is tough to pick a favorite for a breakout year but he is impressed with Johnson Wagner. Tiger Woods is always a part of this discussion and while he was very impressed with his tee to green game in the first round, he was disappointed in his putting and was also disappointed that Tiger once again blamed the conditions for his performance as he tends to do.
When it comes to the proposed PGA TOUR changes, he does not mind the effort to make the fall events much more important by making them the start of the season and official FedExCup events. But he is very much against the idea of eliminating Q-School as a pathway to the PGA TOUR because there are such wonderful stories of joy and sadness every year. The fact that it could be for the Nationwide Tour only means that there will still be stories, but the drama will not be as big because the prize will not be as big. He knows that it is a business decision but he still does not agree with it.
He likes the concept of allowing a pathway to the PGA TOUR for players who use sponsor’s exemptions to try to earn their cards. Only six players have successfully gone to the PGA TOUR via this route and he is happy to see that it will still be possible under this new proposal.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth