The Valero Texas Open will precede The Masters in 2013 and Hawkins thinks that this will help the event next year. This year, it has possibly the weakest field of the season although it is more due to the schedule than the work of the tournament organizers. When looking at the schedule, many players consider San Antonio a good week to take off.
The AT&T Oaks Course at TPC San Antonio is over 7,500 yards and all par 5s are 567 yards or more. It played as one of the most difficult courses of 2011 and Hawkins thinks that a player like Matt Kuchar will contend this week because he can hit the ball long and he is playing well right now.
When asked if there were any holes on the PGA TOUR that he would like to take a chainsaw to, he mentioned the 18th at TPC Sawgrass not because it is a bad hole but because there is so much trouble off the tee.
Michelle Wie is returning to Hawaii for the LPGA LOTTE Championship. Hawkins spent time with Michelle and her family a number of years ago when she was around 13 years old. Even then, he got the impression that Michelle played the game of golf because that is what she did, not because she loved it. He felt that golf has always been about business to Michelle and her family and not about fun or achieving dreams. She has a long way to go to get her game back and putting is not her main problem. Problems of the head and the heart are much more damaging to her game.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- LPGA event may be further shortened | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly