Going out on the last day, he was five shots back and he knew going into the tournament that this was a must-win event if he were to have any chance of winning the Money List and he was able to make six straight birdies on the back nine to get it done. Those six birdies made the win at Disney maybe the most satisfying of his career. The streak of 483 holes without a three putt is an impressive one and his short game is the reason for his success in 2011. He hopes that his fellow pros will not follow his lead of increasing their short game practice time and joked that he hoped the secret would not be revealed. No matter how you are playing, if you have a good short game you will do pretty well. He is focused on making history and that is why he added Disney to his schedule. The PGA TOUR has never recognized the WGC-HSBC Champions as official money and he does not know why that is and he feels that it is sketchy at best that the PGA TOUR has delayed the vote for Player of the Year by two weeks. He thinks that the PGA TOUR needs to simplify its schedule and have a beginning and an end as well as not having different categories of wins and official events and official money. It is very important to him to be with his wife when she gives birth to their second child but if she has had the baby, he plans to play in the WGC-HSBC Champions and others. In reference to wife Diane’s light-hearted tweet, he said that the baby’s name will not be Minnie. When you start playing well, success breeds more success and since he is playing well now, he has the expectation that he will continue to play well week after week. He knew that it would be a difficult task to win both Money Lists but he has been able to play well at the right times to put himself in position to make this kind of history. When asked about the odds of him coming into the Morning Drive studio to accept the Vardon Trophy live on the air as Matt Kuchar did earlier this year, he said that the odds were about as good as Gary Williams being in the studio lately and added that he needs to get back in the studio. In closing, he said he would see what he could do to make a live in-studio presentation happen.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path