Golf Channel on NBC Analyst Mark Rolfing is in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL this week for THE PLAYERS. NBC Sports is going to present Global Golf Adventures: Chicago which Rolfing is both producing and hosting. He was able to get Michael Jordan and Ernie Banks to appear on the show as well as go to Wrigley Field and Soldier Field. Rolfing said that he is a Chicago guy and this special is really a labor of love for him.
THE PLAYERS Stadium Course does not set up for just one player and that is a big reason why no one has ever been able to successfully defend their title. Many courses favor one or two types of players and as a result only 15-20 players may have a legitimate chance to win on a weekly basis which increases the odds of a successful title defense. At least four times as many players have a chance to win THE PLAYERS and that makes it much more difficult to win in two straight years.
Rickie Fowler is not only a great player but he is also a very nice young man who is a lot of fun to be around and is great with all of the fans. Fowler is the type of personality who can bring in a lot of young, new fans to the game of golf and this is already happening as we are seeing a lot more orange in the galleries on a weekly basis.
The golf course itself is one of the big stories of the week. A lot of time and money have been put into making this golf course one of the best in the world and the hope is that the course will be able to give the best in the world a big challenge. Another big story is about World #1 and whether it is Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald, or even Lee Westwood. But one thing that is interesting is that there is not a lot of conversation about Tiger Woods as the week begins.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd at Colonial for using putting aid
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots