Mike Mills is a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame through his work as the bass guitarist for R.E.M. Mills has been a big fan of the game of golf for many years and while he wouldn’t play much when he was on the road or in the studio, he would play a lot when he was not in either place. After becoming famous and losing anonymity, it did not impact his enjoyment of the game of golf because when he played privately no one cared who he was and when he played in charity events he wanted people to know who he was.
If he could pick someone to play golf with, he would say Jack Nicklaus. He would love to play with the best ever and he is lucky enough to be good friends with a number of PGA TOUR players so he has had the chance to see some of the best practicing their craft.
He did not and does not write songs when he is on the golf course because he likes to get out on the course to get away from music and just enjoy himself. The greatest golf day he has ever had was when he was in Augusta for the Final Round of the 2004 Masters and getting to celebrate the victory with his friend Bones Mackay as well as with Phil.
He loves The Masters because it is in his home state of Georgia but he is also a huge fan of the Ryder Cup because of its uniqueness and he is very excited about this year’s edition at Medinah.
R.E.M. disbanded in 2011 and while they are no longer a band, the members still plan to do stuff together. For instance, he was involved in a festival that guitarist Peter Buck put on recently. Plus, they are all friends and they plan to stay friends. A Super Bowl reunion would likely be out of the question because unlike him, the other members of R.E.M. are not necessarily sports fans. When asked if he has a favorite R.E.M. song, he mentioned “Nightswimming” and “Man on the Moon.”
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management