GolfChannel.com Senior Writer Rex Hoggard was in Augusta, Georgia last week for the 76th Masters Tournament and is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina this week for the RBC Heritage. There are many ways to look at Bubba Watson’s win in The Masters, but Hoggard loved the way that he conducted himself on Sunday when he was in contention. In the recent past at Doral and at Bay Hill just last month, he did not play as well when he had a chance to win but he was great on Sunday.
Hoggard spoke to Bubba’s college coach Chris Haack from the University of Georgia and Haack said that Bubba does certain things on his putts when he gets nervous but he did not do those things. It was Haack who took Bubba to the Augusta National for the first time.
Heath Slocum, who grew up in Bagdad, Florida in the same town as Bubba Watson, followed Bubba’s progress very closely on Sunday. Slocum and Watson have been friends for a long time and grew up playing at the same golf course. Slocum was getting text messages from a friend while he was at dinner on Sunday and was very excited for Bubba.
He thinks that when you list some of the great Masters shots, you could include three for last week including Phil’s flop shot at 15 in the third round, Oosthuizen’s double eagle at 2 in the final round, and of course Bubba’s 2nd shot on the 2nd playoff hole at 10. He would also include Phil’s shot from the pine straw at 13 in 2010 and Rory’s tee shot to the cabins at 10 in 2011.
He played at Augusta Country Club on Monday with Jason Sobel and Jay Coffin. He did not play as well as he would have liked but he had a great time on a great golf course. You can actually see into Amen Corner from the 9th fairway at Augusta Country Club which is an amazing view.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots