In his opinion, the storyline out of Pebble Beach at the end of the day on Sunday is that someone other than Tiger or Phil will win. Charlie Wi enters the final round with a 3 shot lead and based on what has happened recently, that is no guarantee that he will win. Based on how talented the players at the top of the leaderboard are, Rex thinks that Dustin Johnson is someone to watch and someone who could win today.
Charlie Wi and Ken Duke are both very talented players. Wi is swinging very well this week and while nerves are a question for him, nerves and temper are concerns for Ken Duke in the final round.
Talking to Dustin Johnson’s trainer, he has learned how remarkably quick D.J. has recovered from surgery on his right knee late in 2011. After the surgery, D.J. practically lived in an ice pack for 10 days and even had an ice machine in his house. Randy Myers’ clients include Brandt Snedeker as well as Dustin Johnson and if D.J. were to win today, it would be proof not only of Myers’ ability as a trainer but also at the quality of fitness in the young players in golf today.
On the fact that Tiger and Phil will play alongside amateurs in the final round today, Rex expressed concerns about how it will impact both the pros and the amateurs. A few months ago, Rex played in a Wednesday pro-am with Charles Howell III late in 2011 and he was nervous enough during a practice round so he cannot imagine what it would be like to be around a pro during the final round of a PGA TOUR event.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play