Phil Mickelson is making his 2012 debut this week in the Humana Challenge and after spending a week with him, Phil’s swing coach Butch Harmon is enthused about his game in large part because Phil is looking to rely more on feel than mechanics as he is looking to improve on a 2011 that despite including a victory in the Shell Houston Open, was one of the more weaker seasons of his career in a number of ways.
Johnson Wagner earned his 3rd PGA TOUR win in the Sony Open and Wagner is a fierce competitor and a really good guy. He has spent a lot of time in the offseason getting in better shape and improving his golf game. Wagner began 2011 without status and then won the Mayakoba Golf Classic that year. With his win on Sunday, he is exempt through 2014.
Tim Finchem has been re-signed to a four year extension as Commissioner until 2016. At the age of 64, Finchem is still very enthused about his job and Rex would not be surprised if he remained as Commissioner after 2016. Following successes with new tournament sponsors and a new TV contract, Rex thinks that Finchem’s next focus will be on the 2013 PGA TOUR and Nationwide Tour schedules especially as it seems likely that the way PGA TOUR cards are rewarded will change radically.
The offseason seems to last about 10 minutes now as all of the events around the world essentially have created an endless golf year around the world. Right now, the Fall Series has almost unofficial status and changing the way the schedule works may make those events official although it could impact international events and their ability to attract American players.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process