Kaymer said that Westwood and McIlroy’s returns to the PGA TOUR were “strange” and Rex talked with Kaymer’s agent last week and found out that Martin was still considering PGA TOUR membership last week as he had qualified for Kapalua. Ultimately, Kaymer decided against it because he would be unable to backload his PGA TOUR schedule because he would take the risk of missing the PGA TOUR Playoffs if he played poorly and then he would have to play Fall Series events to meet his requirement. Rex does not think that it would be overly taxing for players to have dual membership on the PGA TOUR and the European Tour and be able to meet requirements on both tours. On the question of one world tour that has been raised by numerous players over this year, Rex feels that by and large we already have a world tour especially if the proposed idea to make the Asian events official and start the new season in October passes.
Following the International team’s loss in the Presidents Cup, Norman blamed the weak performance in alternate shot and Rex does not disagree with Norman’s analysis. Being able to decide the order of the playing schedule will help but it will not solve all of the problems and Rex also thinks that it would be a good idea to have a match play event that the Internationals could play every year.
Doug Barron is among many players who are in the Final Stage of Q-School and he played his way through second stage this year after having to sit out an entire year due to a substance suspension. Barron now has the PGA TOUR’s permission to use medication to bring his testosterone levels up to normal and it is good to see Doug have the energy to focus on his golf again. Rex will split his time this week between PGA TOUR Q-School in La Quinta and the Chevron World Challenge.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path