Tiger Woods’ presence at The Honda Classic has had a huge impact on this year’s edition of the event. PGA National is 15 miles away from his house so he will be comfortable at home in his first Honda Classic appearance since he was an amateur in 1993. Attendance is expected to be around 160,000 and concessions are expected to be up 30% while TV ratings are expected to be up 50% over 2011.
FedEx has agreed to extend its contract to sponsor the FedExCup through 2017. They want to take the playoff system to the next level and by doing that they will be able to become more prominent among businesses all around the world. They will also be able to become more integrated into the PGA TOUR’s digital and global endeavors.
With revenue reductions of about $80 million and net loss increases of about $150 million, Callaway Golf has decided to tap Adams Golf CEO Chip Brewer as its new Chief Executive. While it is good to have a talented singer and athlete like Justin Timberlake as a Creative Consultant, Timberlake’s presence does not increase profits and the company has been unable to keep up with the rest of the golf industry as it recovers from the economic downturn.
Hunter Mahan may not have a diverse endorsement portfolio but he does stand to be one of the next best things thanks to his win in the WGC-Accenture Match Play. At the age of 29, Mahan is just young enough that he will be able to land a couple more big endorsement deals if he can win a couple more events that are as or nearly as high profile as the WGC-Accenture Match Play. Wins in those kinds of events will also work to diversify Mahan’s current endorsement portfolio which currently consists of mostly golf and sports apparel companies.
Speaking of endorsements, Fred Couples has added the dietary supplement Anatabloc to notable endorsements including Ecco and Bridgestone. The company found out that Couples was using the product while working on his back and the company asked if Couples would like to endorse the product. Fred Couples is someone who people really like and people are attracted to products that are sold by likable individuals.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No 3-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots