Ron Sirak is the Executive Editor of Golf World Magazine and he was in La Jolla, CA where he covered the Farmers Insurance Open. Jack Nicklaus has 22 grandchildren but only one grandchild who actively plays golf. He feels that golf is being out-organized by other sports like soccer, basketball, and football. Golf needs to position itself as a healthy sport and a family activity if it is to keep pace with other sports among young people.
Kyle Stanley was caught up in a perfect storm of bad lies, bad decisions, and bad luck when he made an 8 on the final hole to fall into a playoff which he went on to lose. It was one of the more amazing things he has ever seen on the golf course but he was so impressed with how well Stanley handled the aftermath. He answered all of the questions that he was asked and Sirak feels that Stanley will bounce back quickly.
While Tim Tebow will not be at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am next week, Patriots QB Tom Brady as well as his coach Bill Belichick will be there. Belichick is lucky if he gets in 10 rounds a year at his home course of Sankaty Head GC in Nantucket, Massachusetts. He is hoping to come to Pebble Beach as the Coach of the Super Bowl Champions and when he did just that in 2005, he did not have a chance to play a practice round with partner Larry Mize because he had to go to Los Angeles to appear on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.” Belichick would be happy to have that conflict again this year.
There are now 8 finalists for the job of designing the 2016 Olympic course in Rio and there will be interviews of all 8 candidates this week in Brazil and the hope/expectation is that there will be an announcement of a designer by the end of this week. There is the hope that the Olympics will play a significant role in growing the game worldwide among young people.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process