Golf World Executive Editor Ron Sirak was in Arizona last week for the RR Donnelley LPGA Founders Cup. Looking at the Transitions Championship, it was a great week on a great course but it is the only event for 2013 without a title sponsor. While it has a lot of things going for it, the event is surrounded by three other very powerful events and may have trouble getting a new sponsor although Tim Finchem could work his magic once again.
When it comes to the new schedule for 2013, it is possible that the fall events will not be full FedExCup events which has upset Frys.com who sponsors the Frys.com Open. Frys.com Open CEO John Fry expressed concern over the future of his company’s sponsorship if his event is not upgraded to a full FedExCup beginning with the new schedule for the 2013-2014 season. This concern could keep the proposal from quick passage.
At the Founders Cup, he brought an old 2-iron and being able to watch Hall of Famer Patty Sheehan hit straight ball after straight ball with that 2-iron was worth the trip alone. There were a number of founders and past great players at the event last week and the younger players are learning a great deal from them about where the LPGA Tour has come over the years and how they can continue to grow in the future.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth