Golf World Executive Editor Ron Sirak called in from Fort Worth, Texas where he covered the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. The Memorial Tournament is being played this week and several players go to Muirfield Village with something to prove. McIlroy has missed consecutive cuts, Tiger Woods has three straight finishes of T40 or worse, Dustin Johnson is returning from injury, and Bubba Watson is making just his second start since winning The Masters. 8 of the top 10 in the Official World Golf Ranking are in the field.
The 2013 Presidents Cup captains will be announced on Tuesday at Muirfield Village and if current reports are correct, Fred Couples will lead the U.S. team for a third time while Nick Price will lead the International team for the first time. Price will be replacing Greg Norman who led the International team in 2009 and 2011 and Norman actually said following the matches last year that Nick Price would be replacing him and that he supported the choice.
The University of Alabama won the NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championship when senior Brooke Pancake made a four foot putt on the final hole. Coach Mic Potter left Furman after 22 great seasons to go to Alabama and after seven years, Potter has led the team to the NCAA Division I title. While Alabama is a great story, an unfortunate story from Nashville is that of the University of Virginia who lost by four shots after they had to add five shots to their first round score when Elizabeth Brightwell’s score of 72 was disqualified after she signed an incorrect scorecard.
On the 18th green at Colonial, Jason Dufner was distracted by his back nine collapse and Zach’s caddie Damon Green was raking the bunker so Zach was left to his own devices when it came to replacing his ball marker. The 18th green with the final group on Sunday is always a chaotic atmosphere and it certainly was yesterday. With so much happening at once, it is not surprising that no one initially caught Zach’s mistake but it is very fortunate that the mistake was caught and that it did not impact the final result.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Inaugural Bahamas LPGA event deluged by rain
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on anchor ban: 'Not going to roll over'
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air