McIlroy is in Dubai for the Dubai World Championship this week after winning the UBS Hong Kong Open. He is a bit under the weather this week and got a virus while travelling a couple of weeks ago. He is undergoing some tests and waiting for the results. This is the last leg of this big tour and he is going to focus on taking the Race to Dubai from Luke Donald.
He felt that the Race to Dubai title would be a possibility because Luke Donald did not play a couple of big events late in the season including the WGC-HSBC Champions. McIlroy knew if he played well he could have a chance at Dubai and by winning in Hong Kong, he now has a chance.
Entering the final round in Hong Kong, he was three shots back following a bad third round where he was not feeling well. After a good night’s sleep, he was able to go out and shoot a solid round of 65 while the people ahead of him did not play too well. As a result, he walked away with the trophy.
As a member of the 2012 PGA TOUR, Rory plans to add THE PLAYERS and the events in the PGA TOUR Playoffs for the FedExCup to his schedule. Otherwise, the plan is to keep to his normal schedule of events around the world and does not plan to add other ones.
His decision to play the Irish Open instead of the AT&T National at Congressional in 2012 came about because he understands how much his national open needs help in terms of sponsorship and support. He knew that if he played in his home tournament, it could help the event and the people in Ireland and if he missed it, he would be hurting those people and would be hurting Ireland.
When it comes to his schedule in 2012, he plans to reduce his schedule a bit especially after the PGA TOUR Playoffs and the Ryder Cup. Although he plans to play in the WGC-HSBC Champions and a couple of other events late in the year, he will not a play a schedule in 2012 like he did in 2011.
On the nickname Wozzilroy, he did not invent the nickname for he and girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki but the nickname stuck and they have gone on from there.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- No. 1-ranked amateur Williams signs with Nike
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path