Ross Smith is the PGA of America Director of Golf at Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Harbor Shores is very much a second shot course with the difficult contours on the greens but if are able to place your ball in the right spots off the tee and on the green, you can be successful on this course.
The course opened in 2010 and everyone has been working very hard to get the course in great shape for this week. The Nicklaus Design Group did a great job building this course and as a result it is on a solid foundation with great drainage on top of the fact that it is a beautiful place.
The 10th hole has a lot of history because when Jack Nicklaus was at the course for the opening with Johnny Miller and Arnold Palmer, he made a 100 foot putt on that green. Nicklaus was able to show everyone how it was done on such a difficult green.
In order to succeed at Harbor Shores, you do not have to be a long hitter but you have to be hitting your irons well and with the green complexes, you obviously have to putt well. As a result, many different kinds of players can win this week and he is excited to see how the best players on the Champions Tour play.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots