A lack of wind and a relatively soft course at The MINES Resort & Golf Club will almost inevitably lead to low scores and that is exactly what happened in the first round of the CIMB Classic. The players are enjoying the golf course and it is very likely that scores will remain low for the rest of the week.
Tiger Woods has said that he would love to win any time but he would especially like to win right now because he will not be playing many tournaments until 2013 and he would like to end 2012 with some momentum. He has won three times on the PGA TOUR this year but not since early summer.
There are so many fans who have cameras with them and there are people photographing Tiger Woods practically every step he takes. Tiger is playing in Malaysia for the first time in 13 years and he is treated like visiting royalty. Tiger easily had the largest crowds with him and he gave the fans what they wanted with a solid round of 66.
The MINES Resort & Golf Club is more of a parkland golf course which is similar to many American courses and the hot and humid conditions provide great opportunities for players to make low scores. American players are performing well and have performed well on that course in part because of the course conditions and in part because of their talent. Many players have become accustomed to this course and they are showing their comfort with low scores.
This is a co-sanctioned event by the Asian Tour and the PGA TOUR and the fans have come out in large numbers every year but especially this year. With 48 players in the field, the course can accommodate a maximum of 20,000 people per day and the event had no problem reaching that number with Tiger in the field.
Wake up and smell the fairway each day with Morning Drive.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play