DANIEL ISLAND, S.C. – It was a tough day at “Royal Daniel Island” with winds that whipped to 35 mph making the year-ending Nationwide Tour Championship look more like the Open Championship.
So much so Jason Kokrak carded a 3-over 75 and still maintained his advantage over the field, taking a one-stroke lead into the final 18. A victory would be the Nationwide Tour rookie’s third of 2011 and would secure him a “battlefield” promotion and the circuit’s money title.
“(The money title) is nothing I’m constantly thinking about, but it gets you into The Players and being able to play in a major is huge,” Kokrak said. “Look at what Keegan (Bradley) did at the PGA.”
Kokrak is a stroke clear of Scott Brown, who carded what many consider to be the round of the event (5-under 67), and Daniel Chopra, who was tied for the lead through 36 holes but stumbled to a 77, 15 shots more than his tournament-record 62 on Friday.
Chopra began the week 24th in earnings and is currently projected to finish 21st after a 41 on his closing nine, while bubble boy Billy Hurley III remains teetering at 25th after an even-par 72.
Ken Duke may have made up the most ground on Saturday, playing his back nine in 2 under for a share of second place. Duke began the week 36th on the money list.
Already well in front in the team competition, the USC Trojans are now on the verge of both team and individual NCAA titles entering the final round of competition at the University of Georgia Golf Co... Read More
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots