Martin's Blog - Chapter 18: Short Game Secrets
- By Martin Hall
- Jun 20, 2012 7:30 PM ET
Like School of Golf on Facebook: Join The Class
Follow School of Golf on Twitter: @SchoolofGolf
-When putting, pros get the ball rolling early while club players often have backspin on the ball. Hit it with very little loft at impact with the hands slightly ahead. Imagine rolling the ball like rolling a tire down the road.
-When chipping, minimize club face rotation back and through, not square to the target line but square to the plane. A good drill is place a circle at different distances away and practice landing the ball in it.
-The key to pitching is never swing across yourself. Always swing on plane, but not necessarily at your target line. If you want to change the distance and trajectory of your pitch you need to adjust your ball position, weight distribution and hand action.
Viewer Question (Facebook Exclusive)
Q: I simply cannot hit a ball on or off the tee without severely slicing it. I don't know what I'm doing and I've tried everything to fix it. Any help would be wonderful! (Noah LaFon)
A: Somewhere you have your face wide open. The obvious place to look is your grip, make sure it’s not too weak and make sure the heel pad of your glove is on top of the club at address. As you move the club away from the ball, try to keep the club face looking at the ball as long as you can in the backswing. If needed, have the feeling of hitting a top spin forehand in the downswing. This is often a really good thought to stop the slice.
"Every Shot I Take" by Davis Love III
-Get Better With Your Roll
-Never Swin Across Your Body
Next Week’s Show
Chapter 19: Hitting It Pure (June 27, 2012)
-Martin will reveal a three word formula for hitting your chips, pitches and approach shots pure.
-Legendary instructor Bob Toski will be the latest induction into the Martin Hall of Fame
-Holly Sonder will help answer viewer questions throughout the show
-Post your questions for next week on Email or Facebook
- Woods draws Els, Rose at Bay Hill | Tee times
- Woods, Vonn say they're dating | Meet Lindsey
- Watson: 'Major' Ryder Cup announcement Wed.
- Report: Haney impressed by Tiger this year
- Fantasy: Bay Hill rankings, fact pack and picks
- Notes: Arnie passes on exemption for grandson
- Lewis inks deal | New No. 1 | Donates $50K
- Lewis wins Founders; No. 1 | Scores | Mell
- Land finally being cleared for 2016 Olympic course
- LPGA's Recari promotes eating disorder awareness
- Holmes fractures ankle in rollerblading accident
- Weekly Fix: Curing the dreaded two-way miss