Martin's Blog - Chapter 17: Eliminating the Hook
- By Martin Hall
- Jun 6, 2012 7:30 PM ET
Like School of Golf on Facebook: Join The Class
Follow School of Golf on Twitter: @SchoolofGolf
-A hook is a ball that curves way too far to the left and doesn’t finish on target, and it means your swing path is way to the right of where your club face is at impact.
-If you hook there are four places to look for correction. First, your grip may be too strong, your hands may be too far forward, the ball may be too far back or the face could be too open at address. Next is your backswing, and a hook would mean you have too much turn. At the top, make sure you haven't taken too big a backswing and the club isn't crossing the line. Finally in the downswing, make sure you're not going down the target line too long.
-Jack Nicklaus is a player that never finished left of his target under pressure. His tip for eliminating the hook was have the feeling of the right palm facing the sky after impact.
-A great drill for getting rid of the hook was influenced by the movie Jerry Maguire because it's time to "show me the money"! Hold a bucket facing out, place or pretend there is a $100 dollar bill at the bottom of the bucket and swing it back and through keeping the opening of the bucket facing away from you as long as possible. Don't dump the money out of the bucket right after impact.
"The Hogan Way" by John Andrisani
-Get Your Setup Neutral
-Show me the money!
Next Week’s Show
Chapter 18: Short Game Secrets (June 20, 2012)
-Martin will share the short game secrets the pros know but most amateurs don't about putting, chipping, pitching and specialty shots.
-Martin will also teach a tip for distance control used by U.S. Ryder Cup Captain Davis Love III.
-Holly Sonder will help answer viewer questions throughout the show
-Post your questions for next week on Email or Facebook
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGA of America | USGA
- Manufacturer on anchor ban: 'Golf lost today'
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae