Destination Guide: Inland Empire
- Jun 22, 2012 4:59 PM ET
Composed of the Ontario, Riverside and San Bernardino areas, the Inland Empire is the fifth largest urban area in the state of California and quickly becoming one of the most diverse. Although it holds onto to its agricultural roots, which includes the Temecula Wine Region, the area is growing in terms of cultural arts, sports and recreation, including golf.
You'll find dozens of golf courses to choose from -- including the tranquil Lake Arrowhead, the Schmidt-Curley designed 36 holes of the East Valley Country Club in Beaumont, or Riverside's Oak Quarry Golf Club, which features one of the most picturesque par-3 holes in California.
Besides golf, though, there is a growing list of entertainment options. The Victoria Gardens Cultural Center in the city of Rancho Cucamonga, for example, opened in 2006. In San Bernardino, there's the San Manuel Amphitheater, among the nation's largest outdoor amphitheaters. And the Route 66 Rendezvous, held in San Bernardino, is the largest classic car show in the country, drawing more than a half million people from around the world.
When it comes to other outdoor adventures, there's winter sports, hiking, biking and camping in the San Jacinto Mountains as well as the San Bernardino National Forest.
Three major airports serve the region: Ontario, Palm Springs and San Bernardino.
Scoring a tee time at Riviera C.C. is a tall order, so what are the best public golf courses between Los Angeles and Palm Springs? We've got an area Top 10 as rated by GolfNow users. Read More
Palm Springs is known for big stars and posh golf. But even during the peak season, affordable golf can be found. We've done some window shopping for you in the Coachella Valley. Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman ready to defend Senior PGA title | Tee times
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management