World-class golf destination Los Cabos gears up for G20 Summit in June
- By Brandon Tucker
- May 31, 2012 7:22 PM ET
LOS CABOS, Mexico – The view never gets old.
Every time I stare out from my ocean-front villa at the Sherton Hacienda Del Mar Golf & Spa Resort toward the blue waters of the Sea of Cortez, I’m reminded how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful world.
This is my golf third trip to Los Cabos on the tip of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula and I love that there’s always something new and exciting to discover. I didn’t get my wish – a tee time at the world-class Diamante Cabos San Lucas – but there’s no such thing as consolation prizes here.
Today’s fantastic round at Cabo Real (see photo above) will be followed up by Palmilla Golf Club tomorrow and the Ocean course at Cabo del Sol on Sunday. All are rock star playgrounds for golfers. In between swings, I’ll be busy sampling the two five-diamond restaurants at the Sheraton, along with swimming with the dolphins and a spa treatment at the Westin Los Cabos. Others in my party went kayaking around the famous “arch” at Land’s End while I was playing golf this morning. Today’s golf partners might actually ditch me and trade in their clubs for fishing rods and charter a boat for some spectacular deep sea fishing later this weekend. If you want to live the good life, the resorts stacked up along the strip between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas can certainly deliver, especially the Westin and the Sheraton, two properties run by Starwood Hotels.
The Sheraton, next door to Cabo del Sol, is an oasis of pools and the beach. It will be one of the six host hotels for the upcoming G20 Summit in June. The summit will bring together the world’s presidents, prime ministers and leaders to solve the planet’s problems. As I write this blog post on my terrace, listening to the waves crash on the shore, I know the giant uphill task they face. Getting any work done in this serene setting is next to impossible.
For all the grief Barack Obama is taking from the Republicans, he should probably leave his clubs at home. Thank goodness I’m not the leader of the free world. That is something I could never do when visiting Cabo.
- LIVE STREAM: Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic
- SCORING: Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA Bahamas
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Overton DQ'd for using putting aid | Clark in mix
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots