HOLYWOOD, Northern Ireland – Ran into Gerry McIlroy, the father of U.S. Open champion Rory, who called the last few weeks since Congressional "pretty quiet, really."
Rory McIlroy has been on the move the last few days, including a trip to Wimbledon and a scouting trip to Royal St. George's. Early Saturday, however, McIlroy was doing what he does best, playing golf at Royal County Down, about an hour south of his childhood home.
According to one source there were about 20 people following McIlroy down the first fairway but the gallery ballooned to about 200 by the time he made the turn.
As for his game? "He didn't have much rust," the source said.
Tags: Rory McIlroy
- LIVE STREAM: Sr. PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots