The 30-year-old Molinari, who has won two European Tour events, had six birdies for a 29 on the final nine holes at the Sentosa Golf Club.
“My putting was excellent today,” the Italian said. “I holed everything inside 10 feet.”
Mickelson said Singapore’s hot and humid tropical weather may have helped fuel the day’s low scores.
“I think when it’s warm like this the ball flies straighter and it is easier to play,” Mickelson said. “Your muscles feel lose and you swing it much freer and that should equate to lower scores.”
The tournament, marking its 50th anniversary, is using both the Serapong course and the Tanjong course to accommodate 204 players.
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- LIVE STREAM: BMW PGA Championship, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots