The 30-year-old Molinari, who has won two European Tour events, had six birdies for a 29 on the final nine holes at the Sentosa Golf Club.
“My putting was excellent today,” the Italian said. “I holed everything inside 10 feet.”
Mickelson said Singapore’s hot and humid tropical weather may have helped fuel the day’s low scores.
“I think when it’s warm like this the ball flies straighter and it is easier to play,” Mickelson said. “Your muscles feel lose and you swing it much freer and that should equate to lower scores.”
The tournament, marking its 50th anniversary, is using both the Serapong course and the Tanjong course to accommodate 204 players.
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
More original content than any other website. Check out Golf Channel's top video & photos.
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler, Mahan to donate to tornado relief efforts
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management
- Simpson wants bifurcation | Clark's take