A day after suggesting that he will be an assistant captain for Davis Love III at this year’s Ryder Cup, Fred Couples – who was named the U.S. Presidents Cup captain for the third time on Tuesday at Muirfield Village – clarified his status for this year’s matches.
“I’m going to help Davis out like (the PGA Tour) just asked me to help (International Presidents Cup captain Nick Price) out,” Couples said on this morning’s Fairways of Life show with Matt Adams on Sirius/XM PGA Tour Radio. “I’m going to talk to Davis a little bit. I don’t know if he’s picking me as an assistant captain or not. I’ll help Davis as much as I can.”
On Tuesday Couples was asked if there was any “trepidation” taking the Presidents Cup spot if there was a chance he could be involved with a Ryder Cup.
“I'm going to help Davis, I think. I don't know if that's out yet, but I believe he's pretty much put that out there,” Couples said. “Davis, wherever you are . . .”
Sources say Love will make an announcement regarding his assistant captains for this year’s matches within the next three to four weeks.
Tags: Fred Couples
From the drama between Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia at The Players Championship to the induction of Fred Couples and Colin Montgomerie into the World Golf Hall of Fame, enjoy this week's edition of Q... Read More
At his World Golf Hall of Fame induction speech Monday night, Fred Couples told the story behind how a woman's driver got into his bag. Read More
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path