Stewart Cink’s playoff victory over Tom Watson at the 2009 Open Championship
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jul 9, 2012 10:30 AM ET
Not since Jack Nicklaus at the ’86 Masters have we seen a remarkable run like this. Tom Watson’s unbelievable bid to win a sixth Open Championship at the age of 59 fell short on the final hole of regulation. After missing an 8-foot putt for bogey, Stewart Cink defeated the legendary Watson in a four-hole playoff at Turnberry.
Relive the 2009 Open Championship on Golf Channel - Tuesday at 8PM ET and join in the conversation on Twitter by using #MajorTuesdays.
Refreshes every 2 minutes. Refresh Now
Midway through the marathon that is British Open qualifying, Josh Teater is poised to earn his first trip to golf’s oldest championship. Read More
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No three-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots