Stewart Cink’s playoff victory over Tom Watson at the 2009 Open Championship
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jul 9, 2012 10:30 AM ET
Not since Jack Nicklaus at the ’86 Masters have we seen a remarkable run like this. Tom Watson’s unbelievable bid to win a sixth Open Championship at the age of 59 fell short on the final hole of regulation. After missing an 8-foot putt for bogey, Stewart Cink defeated the legendary Watson in a four-hole playoff at Turnberry.
Relive the 2009 Open Championship on Golf Channel - Tuesday at 8PM ET and join in the conversation on Twitter by using #MajorTuesdays.
Refreshes every 2 minutes. Refresh Now
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose