Norman: Shootout paved way for LPGA tourney move
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Dec 9, 2011 2:49 PM ET
Naples, Fla., will play host to two tournaments in a three-week span, starting next year. The LPGA's CME Titleholders, which is leaving Orlando, will be played Nov. 15-18 at TwinEagles. Three weeks later, the Franklin Templeton Shootout will be played at Tiburon GC.
Shootout host Greg Norman takes some credit for the LPGA's move to town.
“(It’s) probably a reflection of the success of what the Naples area has done for the Shark Shootout,” Norman said Thursday. “I think it’s a compliment to us that they have come."
While Norman believes there is room for the LPGA, he is concerned about the capacity of the community to support two tournaments so close together on the calendar.
"You’ve got to be careful about not getting too close," he said. "Is three weeks too close? We’ll see.”
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Six flak: Lefty's Open runners-up | Posnanski
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- WWL: Nice guy finishes first | OWGR No. 3
- Grill Room: Jungle Bird banned, misses U.S. Open
- Merion in 2021? | Tricky, appreciated | Dramatic
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of Week
- Rose wins for late dad | Hogan would've been proud
- U.S. Open: Articles, videos, pics | Coverage | Social
- Instruction: Play smart and patient like Rose