Report: Tiger won't play Riviera despite caddie pitch
- By Ryan Lavner
- Jan 29, 2013 11:05 AM ET
Not even a recruiting pitch from caddie Joe LaCava could convince Tiger Woods to return to Riviera for the first time since 2006.
According to a report Tuesday by the Los Angeles Daily News, LaCava told reporters after the final round of the Farmers Insurance Open that Woods wouldn’t play in L.A., even though “I tried to talk him into it.”
It was also reported earlier this week that Woods won’t return to Pebble Beach for next week’s AT&T National Pro-Am after playing in the event last year. Woods has until Feb. 8 to commit to the Northern Trust Open, a tournament he has played 11 times without winning.
Though Woods has not updated his tournament schedule on his website, he will likely play three events in a row, beginning with the Feb. 20-24 WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship, followed by The Honda Classic and WGC-Cadillac Championship.
Mike Bone, the general manager of the Northern Trust Open, told the Daily News: “My reaction is until we get the final confirmation list, we’ll hold out hope Tiger plays the Northern Trust Open. He has a difficult schedule. I’m not surprised by the news, but until we hear directly from him, we’ll still hold out hope that he shows up.”
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth