Weekly Fix: Athletic setup and downswing sequence
- By Tim Cooke, SwingFix Instructor
- Jan 22, 2013 12:00 PM ET
Hi, I’m Tim Cooke, and welcome to the first edition of Weekly Fix, where each week we'll break down one of our user's swings in an effort to help all of our readers play better golf!
This week, we’re going to take a look at Andrew’s swing, and I chose his swing because he does so many great things in his setup that everyone can learn from but also because he has a swing fault that’s common to many golfers.
What I like most about Andrew’s setup is how athletic he is and how the balance he establishes at address is so easily maintained throughout his golf swing.
Andrew’s biggest problem, however, like so many golfers, is that he tends to get a little bit steep on his downswing, which is addressed in greater detail in the video and most directly related to a sequencing issue.
Enjoy this video, as there is a lot to be gleaned for players of all ability levels, and in summary, I would suggest that everyone take the following tips away from this week’s analysis:
• Having a balanced, athletic setup will help you maintain balance throughout your swing, and that’s a good recipe for solid ball-striking.
• No matter what club you’re hitting, positioning your hands at the inside of your front thigh is a good position to be in. Leave your hands in that spot and adjust your ball position based on the club you’re hitting.
• When it comes to properly sequencing your downswing, ideally it is the lower body that starts the process, which will allow you to flatten the shaft and approach the ball from the inside.
Thanks for checking out this week’s edition of Weekly Fix. Keep sending those videos to us at WeeklyFix@GolfChannel.com and we’ll be back with a new edition next Tuesday here at GolfChannel.com.
Tim Cooke is the Director of Instruction at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C., and one of Golf Digest's top young instructors.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path